Apply For A Home
How To Apply
Approved families work side-by-side with volunteers and staff for 350 hours and receive training about personal finance, home maintenance and more. This investment – called Sweat Equity – gives family members a common goal and helps them become part of the fabric of their new community.
You may be eligible for a 0% interest loan to purchase your own energy-efficient and easy-to-maintain Habitat home. Take these steps:
- If you think you meet Habitat’s purchasing requirements please complete and return this prescreening form. You can either fax at 336-691-0769 or mail at PO Box 3402 Greensboro, NC 27402.
- Learn more about owning a Habitat home. Check out the frequently asked questions to get details about the homes we build and the process.
- If you have additional questions about applying for a home, please contact Ramona at 336-232-0147.
Habitat’s purchasing requirements
You meet the requirements if you can say “yes” to all of the following statements:
- I live and/or work in Guilford County.
- I have a job history of one year and have worked in my current job for at least six months and/or receive other sources of income such government benefits, a Pension or Disability benefits.
- My current home or apartment has been in my name for at least one year.
- I do not qualify for a conventional loan.
- I agree to have a credit check.
- I will allow a background check and a home visit.
- I agree to complete 350 hours of Sweat Equity to build my home and/or the homes of other Habitat owners
We offer 0% financing. You pay no interest on your mortgage loan.
No Down Payment
You pay no down payment on your Habitat home. You do pay closing costs associated with purchasing a home.
All mortgage payments are based on your monthly income. Your payment also includes taxes and insurance, which helps you meet your obligations and minimize surprise expenses.
Our homeowner’s classes help you learn how to afford the costs of owning your own home and how to maintain it.